After eating rich foods for Thanksgiving and the leftovers that follow, I crave lighter foods. Relying on recent inspiration from City House in Nashville, I created a radicchio, carrot and golden raisin salad tossed in Alabama White Sauce. I marinated and dressed a filet of orange roughy already in my kitchen freezer in the same sauce but any white fish like redfish, tilapia, monkfish, etc. would work in this recipe.
The golden raisins in the salad enhance the City House version from several weeks ago by complementing the radicchio’s bitter flavors and the cool, creamy heat of the Alabama White Sauce. Steeping in hot water, draining and chilling the raisins increases their sweetness and softens their tough skin. Recipes for Alabama White Sauce (a twist on BBQ sauce) abound online. I choose the one offered by Food Wishes, but your favorite recipe version is likely to please your palette in this dish. ⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
Orange Roughy and Radicchio Salad with Alabama White Sauce
- 3/4 cup Alabama White Sauce
- 4 filets of Orange Roughy or other white fish
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 head radicchio
- 1 medium to large carrot
- 2 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- Prepare Alabama White Sauce from a separate recipe.
- Pour 1/2 cup of sauce over fish filets in a shallow pan and marinate in the refrigerator for 1.5 to 2 hours. Reserve remaining sauce and chill in refrigerator.
- Boil 1 cup water and pour over raisins in a ceramic bowl. Allow raisins to steep in hot water for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Chill in refrigerator.
- Remove the core at the base of the radicchio then peel, tear and rinse individual leaves. Drain and chill in refrigerator. I highly recommend a salad spinner for this part.
- Peel outside skin of the carrot and discard. Then peel even strips of the carrot and set aside.
- Near the end of the 2-hour marinade of the fish, combine radicchio, carrot and raisins into a large bowl.
- Remove fish filets from the refrigerator and brush sauce off the surface. Pat the filets dry with paper towels to remove moisture.
- Heat a cast iron skillet to medium heat with ghee. When the ghee has melted, place filets in skillet and sauté for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to serving plates.
- Pour reserved Alabama White Sauce into salad and toss in the bowl until well mixed. Plate salad next to fish and serve. Drizzle more sauce on the fish.