A few years ago, I began baking zucchini galettes, essentially a French pie with thinly sliced zucchini, parmesan, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, olive oil and minced garlic. I enjoy them so much that I made these savory delights as Christmas gifts one year. This week I decided to bake a sweet fruit galette with apples for the first time.
Time to confess. I cheat when it comes to pie crust. Refrigerated, prepared pie crust makes a galette or pie easy to bake. I might be able to make a better crust from scratch, but Pilsbury and Kroger store prepared pie crusts increase my joy in baking in the kitchen for the time saved and taste delicious. People do not expect to see galettes, so give this a try as a contribution at your next dinner party. It’s literally easy as pie and guests will marvel over your creation.
Galette de Pomme
- 3 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 refrigerated, prepared pie crust
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp cold butter cut into 9 thin slices
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp water
Optional whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sugar.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Peel and core apples, then cut in half lengthwise. Thinly slice across the cored halves.
- Unroll prepared pie crust onto a sheet of parchment paper. Begin placing apple slices in a spiral pattern from the center toward the outer surface of the crust with flat edge down and curved edge up until apples come within an inch of the edge of the crust (see photo and video).
- Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on the apple slices. Fold outer edges of pie crust in toward the center of the galette.
- Evenly distribute butter slices on top of the apples.
- Whisk egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush yolk mixture on the outer edges of the pie crust.
- Transfer galette on parchment paper to cookie sheet. Bake on sheet for 40 minutes until edges are golden brown and center is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and allow galette to rest on a wooden cutting board for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Optional: whip cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Dollop whipped cream onto slices of galette.