Cool salads make sensible treats during hot summers. No one wants to heat up their kitchen in warm weather, especially when guests come over for supper. Making a chilled potato salad ahead of time and grilling when your guests arrive allows everyone to escape the heat.
After trying a few trial batches, the following recipe for potato salad produced the tastiest result. The secret to success with this recipe includes careful cooking of the potatoes, the best dressing ingredients and fresh herbs.
Test the potatoes close to the end of their cooking time and drain them immediately when cooked. Cool the potatoes in cold tap water to fully stop them from cooking and keep them firm. Over-cooked potatoes create an unpleasant mash which ruins the texture of the salad.
Duke’s Mayonnaise is the best store-bought mayonnaise in the grocery for the dressing. Fresh tarragon and Dijon mustard add a French twist to the dressing.
Potato Salad with Tarragon
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes, rinsed, drained and cut in half
- 1/4 cup salt for cooking water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 cup Duke’s Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp fresh tarragon, coursely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh dill, coursely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour water to one inch above potatoes in a large pot with salt and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then lower to a gentle simmer for 30 minutes.
- While potatoes simmer, combine all ingredients from mayonnaise to salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl and place in the refrigerator.
- Before the 30 minutes of simmer time is up, test potatoes with a fork on a large piece. Drain all potatoes in a colander as soon as the fork passes through. Over-cooked potatoes will produce a nasty mash.
- Gently place potatoes in cold tap water to cool for a few minutes. Fully drain potatoes again.
- Place half of mayonnaise dressing in a large mixing bowl. Add potatoes to the bowl followed by the remaining dressing on top. Gently toss potatoes until dressing covers all potato surfaces. Cover bowl and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Gently toss again before serving.