With sauteéd mushrooms caps, a few herbs and a favorite cheese, you can easily make a savory mushroom galette for dinner for four people.
Mushrooms take well to several cheeses: Bleu, Brie, Swiss, or goat cheese. A smoked Bleu cheese and mushroom galette won high praise from guests at a recent Winter Solstice celebration. Unfortunately, my guests consumed the galette before I could get a photo.
I sometimes make my own dough for galettes, but this recipe calls for a store-bought refrigerated pie dough usually found near the egg and dairy section of most groceries. Using a store-bought dough makes this an easy weeknight meal to serve with a tossed green salad.
Find other galettes on this blog at this link. If you’d rather make your own crust from scratch follow the instructions at this link.
Mushroom Cap Galette
- 1 sleeve of refrigerated pie crust
- 16 oz. of White Button or Baby Bella, washed and dried.
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 5 oz cheese, crumbled or shredded.
- 1 egg
Materials: parchment paper, baking sheet, pastry brush, large skillet, oven, and a baking stone (optional).
- Cut the stems at the bottom edge of each mushroom cap and discard.
- Place refrigerated dough sleeve on kitchen counter.
- Melt butter in skillet on medium heat and sauté shallots until softened (~3 minutes). Add mushroom caps and stir until coated with butter. Stir in salt, thyme and black pepper. Cook mushrooms until their moisture evaporates (~15 minutes).
- Add white wine and deglaze mushroom fond from skillet surface. Continue to sauté until wine is absorbed and evaporates into a thick sauce. Remove mushrooms from heat and allow to cool until you can safely handle them with hands.
- Preheat oven with baking stone on center (if you have one) to 400F.
- Unroll refrigerated pie dough in the center of a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle cheese from center of dough to within almost 2″ of the edge. Place mushroom caps – stem side down – onto cheese.
- Fold the dough in pinches around the edge of the mushrooms, then brush edges with egg wash. Lift the galette with the parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg with about 3 Tbsp of cold water. Brush the edges of the folded dough with egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 18-20 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the mushrooms and cheese bubble. Remove and allow to cool for at least ten minutes before slicing.