The cannellini beans in this simple soup provide a great source of protein for a light lunch or dinner in less than an hour. The recipe assumes that you save rinds of Parmigiano Reggiano in your freezer. The rind adds a rich savory flavor to the soup. Finish with fresh gremolata and serve with a crusty bread.
Cannellini and Potato Soup with Rosemary
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 15 oz. can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 200 grams yellow or red potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Rind of Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Zest of 1 large or 2 small oranges
- 1 Tbsp roasted sunflower seeds, chopped (may substitute pistachios or almonds)
- Add onion and garlic to a pot after heating oil. Stir in salt and pepper and rosemary. Sauté until onions soften.
- Add bay leaf, beans and potato to pot. Add enough broth to cover the ingredients. Bring to a low boil on high. Add rind of cheese, then reduce temperature to low to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Make the gremolata with last three ingredients while the soup simmers.
- Serve in bowls topped with gremolata.