Breakfast is a favorite meal for me, especially with eggs! The egg is one of the most versatile of foods and I’m always searching for news to prepare them. This vegetarian frittata brings many Italian flavors together for a savory delight.
If you make this recipe, let me know what you think.
Veggie Sausage Pizza Frittata
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 white button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 link of vegetarian Italian sausage (Field Roast recommended), removed from casing, sliced lengthwise and diced into semicircles
- 1/8 tsp, salt
- 1/2 tsp, dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp, dry basil
- 1/2 tsp, fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp, crushed red pepper
- 1/3 cup, sun-dried tomatoes (from a bag, not packed in brine or oil)
- Olive oil spray
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tbsp 2% milk
- 3 tbsp, crumbled feta cheese
- 2 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin strips
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add all ingredients from the onion to crushed red pepper. Stir until onion softens and the sausage browns. Add sun-dried tomatoes. Stir for one minute and remove from heat and spoon all contents of the skillet to a plate.
- Beat eggs and milk in a medium size bowl. Move a rack to a high level and heat your oven to broil.
- Dampen a couple of paper towels with water and wipe out the iron skillet to remove any remaining contents. This helps remove sugars from the onions from the skillet surface. Use a few dry paper towels to finish the job.
- Spray skillet with olive oil to coat and return to a low heat on the stove (skillet should still be warm). Pour egg and milk mixture into skillet. Immediately distribute the sausage, onion, mushroom and sun-dried tomato mixture evenly over the eggs. Sprinkle feta cheese over eggs and then add the strips of mozzarella.
- When the egg on the edges of the skillet begin to show signs of drying, place the skillet inside the oven for 1-2 minutes. Do not lose sight of your frittata at this crucial step to avoid burning your eggs. Remove skillet from oven when the mozzarella cheese melts and the eggs at the edges have browned and fluffed. Serve immediately.