This idea was missing too long from my breakfast life. Poached eggs over baby spinach sautéed in onion, garlic, and Greek seasonings with feta. I happened to have all the right ingredients and wanted to try something new in the kitchen.
Greek Spinach with Poached Eggs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning mix
- 5 cups Baby Spinach
- 4 tbsp feta cheese
- 4 eggs, cracked and poured into ramekins
- Smoked paprika to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 2 tbsp salt and 2 tbsp white vinegar. Reduce heat to simmer (only slight bubbling).
- In a non-stick skillet, heat olive oil, add onions, Greek seasoning, salt and pepper. As onions begin to soften, add garlic.
- When garlic begins to turn golden, add spinach. Stir frequently until spinach is completely wilted. Remove from heat.
- Add eggs to pot of water. After a few minutes when eggs have turned white, turn each egg once. Poach for another minute or two (depends how firm you want your yolks). Runny is recommended.
- When eggs are nearly ready, add feta cheese to spinach and toss in skillet. Divide spinach between two plates.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon. Gently tap and drag the bottom of the spoon over the edge of the pot to fully drain. Place each egg over plated spinach and season with smoked paprika to taste.