Korma dishes top the list of my favorite Indian foods. After trying many others’ korma recipes over the years, I decided to pursue a new path on a recent Friday night when cooking dinner for friends. I enjoy chicken and vegetable kormas, so this recipe incorporates the best of both. My dinner guests praised this dish, so I’m sharing the recipe from memory.
Many korma recipes call for boneless chicken breasts cut into pieces. Cooking dark chicken meat on the bone adds meaty flavor to the sauce and the higher fat content in thighs and drumsticks is perfect for absorbing fragrant Indian spices. Whole seed spices bloom wonderfully in the heat of the pan and bring more intense flavor.
Rich korma tastes lovely over white basmati rice paired with warm naan to scoop up any remaining luxuriant sauce. Enjoy!
Chicken and Vegetable Korma
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 whole chicken legs (drumstick and thigh), skins removed
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1.5 tsp garam masala
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 12-oz package of frozen diced carrots and green peas
- Sprig of curry leaves or 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Pour boiling water into ceramic bowl over cashews and cover to steep.
- Rub first set of spices from garam masala to salt over both sides of chicken. Place chicken in a casserole dish or plate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minute (This is a good point to chop the onion, pepper, garlic and ginger).
- In a large skillet with a lid, warm oil on medium heat. Place chicken into skillet. Sear for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken to plate.
- If you have nigella, cumin, or coriander seeds drop them into the skillet and heat for about a minute until you hear the seeds begin to pop. Add onion and pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes until onions soften. Add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Stir next set of spices from garam masala to turmeric thoroughly into vegetables and heat until the new spices become fragrant. Add broth, tomato sauce, carrots and peas and curry or bay leaves (if you have them). After a thorough stir, return chicken and any juices to the skillet. Allow chicken to cook in the covered skillet for ten minutes. Turn the chicken and cook while covered for ten more minutes.
- Turn skillet to low and remove chicken to cutting board. After allowing to cool for few minutes, remove chicken from bone and cut into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to the skillet and stir.
- Combine cashew, cashew water, cream and yogurt in a blender or vitamix. Mix until cashews are thoroughly crushed and blended. Add mixture to skillet. Stir and simmer on low heat heat for 15 minutes. Serve with white basmati rice and warm naan.
3 thoughts on “Chicken and Vegetable Korma”
I made this dish tonight and it was wonderful! Much better than the other chicken korma I’ve made. I did, however, substitute some of the cream for coconut milk. This has replaced my last korma recipe in my go to recipe stash!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Glad you enjoyed it!!!