A couple of months ago, I started arriving a few hours earlier to work on a few days each week. As an avid breakfast eater, I too frequently reach for foods which aren’t terribly healthy when starting my morning. To address the problem, I baked a dozen egg muffins with fresh vegetables on a Sunday to provide a quick healthy breakfast to reheat for those early mornings during the week.
I read several recipes before settling on my own creation to include roasted red bell pepper and zucchini, scallions and sharp cheddar cheese. Each of these muffins contains about 100 calories. I look forward to trying new combinations.
I sautéed the peppers and zucchini to add flavor and cook away some moisture. For my muffin tin, baking the muffins for 20 minutes at 375°F cooked the eggs perfectly without overcooking. After 15 minutes of cooking, watch your muffins to be sure you don’t overcook. The muffins should rise and turn a light golden brown. The eggs will continue to cook for a few minutes after removed from the oven.
Easy Egg Muffins with Roasted Veggies
- 1 tsp, olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry Italian seasoning herb
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 9 large eggs
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp sweet cream butter softened to room temperature
- 2 oz sharp or extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Dashes of paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Bring olive oil to a medium heat in a large skillet and add squash, bell pepper, salt, and black and crushed red pepper. Stir for 2-3 minutes. As vegetables begin to soften add dry herbs and stir for 1 minute. Turn off heat and stir in smoked paprika and chopped scallions. Remove vegetables to a plate to cool.
- Break eggs into a 2-cup measuring cup or a pitcher with a pouring spout. Add milk, salt and pepper and whip until all yolks are broken and mixed.
- With a sheet of cling film, grease a non-stick muffin tin with butter for twelve muffins
- Spoon equal portions of vegetables into each muffin cup followed by equal portions of shredded cheese. Pour egg 3/4 of the way up each cup (any higher and the eggs will spill onto the planar surface of the tin and make a mess as they rise). Gently stir the cheese and veggies to submerge beneath the surface of the egg mixture. Sprinkle a dash of paprika over each cup for color.
- Place tin on baking sheet on the middle rack of oven to bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins have risen to a light golden brown.
- Remove muffins from the oven and allow to cool for at least five minutes before serving. Refrigerate leftovers for 5-6 days.