I love Lyonnaise and Niçoise salads and found myself craving both French classics. Unable to choose one over the other last Monday night, I decided to make a hybrid of the two salads. My recipe mashup starts with standard ingredients for a Lyonnaise salad and with haricots verts and red potatoes added from a Niçoise salad (olives and tuna seem out of place for this salad).
Paul paired a 2014 Alphonse Mellot Sancerre Les Romains with our salad. We used a soft warm challah roll to sop up the egg yolk and vinaigrette on the plate. Mmmm good.
Lyonnaise and Niçoise Mashup Salad
- 8 small red potatoes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 6 slices of smoked bacon
- 1/3 lb haricots verts, stems removed, or the thinnest green beans you can find
- 8 cups mixed spring or frisée greens, rinsed and chilled
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine or champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Slice potatoes in half and place on a baking sheet drizzled with olive oil. Brush oil from sheet on top of the skin side of potatoes and sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large covered pot of 3 inches of salted water to a boil.
- While potatoes roast and water heats, fry slices of bacon in a skillet until crisp. Drain bacon on a plate lined with paper towels.
- After roasting for 15 minutes, remove potatoes from oven and flip them onto the skin side. Return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- On a full boil, blanch the green beans for about 3-4 minutes. Remove beans to an ice bath of water to stop them from cooking. They should still have a little crispness. Allow the water to remain on a low boil.
- Remove potatoes from oven and allow to cool on a plate in one layer.
- In a large bowl for serving your salad, whisk shallot, salt, pepper, EVOO, vinegar, and Dijon mustard until thoroughly mixed. Allow the shallots to macerate in the vinaigrette for at least 10 minutes to soften the flavor. Toss in parsley and green beans until coated with dressing. Gently toss in potatoes.
- Crack eggs into small ramekins while ensuring that yolks remain intact.
- Add greens to salad and toss. Plate portions of salad and top with torn strips of bacon.
- Reduce heat of boiling water to simmer. Add white vinegar. Gentle roll each egg into the pot from their ramekins. After a few minutes gentle turn each egg in the poaching water with a slotted spoon and cook for another minute. Remove each egg from the poaching water and drain water with the slotted spoon. Use a towel to absorb water clinging to the bottom of the spoon before gently placing eggs on salad plates.
- Serve immediately with warm soft bread and a dry white wine.