I recently started making changes to my diet to see if I can lose a few pounds. More than a few, I hope. Many of my friends began embracing a keto way of eating to manage their weight. I’ve tried low carb diets in the past with success when I stayed the course. So here goes.
A French recipe for chicken with a Dijon tarragon cream sauce inspired this creation. The mushrooms add plenty of rich braising fluid for the chicken as they cook.
Heavy cream and Dijon mustard add another depth of flavor. I garnished the chicken with chopped scallions but would have used parsley if I had some.
Braised Chicken Thighs in Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 16 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, rinsed, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Chopped Italian parsley or scallions
1. Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven (enameled cast iron if you have it). Place chicken thighs into pot fat side down and sauté for 3-4 minute. Turn and sauté other side for same amount of time. Remove chicken to plate.
2. Add shallots to pot and cook and stir for one minute. Add white wine. Scrape fond from chicken off bottom and sides of pot. Add mushrooms, salt, pepper and thyme. Stir and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken back to pot in single layer fat side up with drippings from plate. Cover pots and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Remove chicken from pot. Stir mushrooms. Add butter and cream and bring to a low boil. Stir mushroom sauce until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Dijon mustard provide consistency to the sauce.
4. Place thighs in bowls, ladle mushroom sauce over the chicken and garnish with chopped scallions or parsley.