This tasty treat will launch your next summer barbecue party with flavor bombs of sweet and spicy sausage bites. Summer cherries and cayenne pepper lend a sweet zip to chargrilled sausage.
Set them on your charcoal grill for a few minutes before switching to burgers, hotdogs, chicken, steaks or other main course fare. Toss them in a pre-prepared cherry glaze while still hot from the grill to serve as appetizers.
Cover image by Kim Gullett.
Chargrilled Smoke Sausages with Spicy Cherry Glaze
- 2 cups fresh bing cherries, stemmed and pitted.
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 14-oz packages smoked sausage, cut into lengths which equal their width
- Place cherries and vinegar in a blender and purée into a smooth sauce with a just a little pulp left from the cherry skins.
- Pour blender contents into a small saucepan and add salt, sugar, and dry peppers. Bring to a bubbling simmer for about 30 minutes. Taste for desired sweetness and spiciness. Remove from heat and cool.
- Place sausage pieces on their cut sides on a hot charcoal grill for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove sausage to a large bowl.
- While still hot, toss sausage pieces in cherry glaze sauce to coat evenly. Serve in bowl with toothpicks for guests. Now you can grill your others meats while your guests enjoy the sausage.