I started making versions of this green salad about a year ago and love it enough to share with my readers.
I named this Creole Salad because I use Creole mustard and dry seasoning spice blend to make the red wine vinaigrette dressing. The dressing provides a base for marinading shallots and celery. Cloves of garlic and shaved fennel make lovely additions to the marinade if you happen to have them.
Use cold tap water to wash and rinse a head of red lettuce and then dry in a salad spinner at least three times. Allow time to crisp the lettuce in the refrigerator to ensure a cool crunch.
In this spicy salad, acidic marinade tames and softens the shallot and celery, olives provide a meaty flavor and texture, cucumbers add fresh crunch, and feta brings a creamy tang. For some color, add sliced red or orange sweet pepper. The following recipe makes a satisfying meal for two or sides or salad courses for four people.
Warm, crusty French bread with soft butter and a glass of Chardonnay make a complete meal. Bon appétit!
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Creole mustard
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cursed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp Creole seasoning (optional)
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled
- 2 oz pimento stuffed green olives
- 1/2 head of red lettuce, washed, rinsed and crisped in the refrigerator
- 2 oz crumbled feta cheese
- Combine first nine ingredients in a large, wide bowl, preferably ceramic. Toss with wooden salad spoons. Chill for at least 30 minutes to allow shallots and celery to marinate. Chill serving bowls or plates in the freezer during this time.
- Slice half cucumber lengthwise and core seeds out with a spoon. Thinly slice into crescent shapes. Set aside.
- Thinly slice olives across the pimento core. Set aside.
- Remix marinated vegetables in the vinaigrette (some separation will occur) and spread them evenly along the bottom and lower side of the bowl.
- Tear bite-size pieces of lettuce into the large bowl. Then add the cucumber, olives and feta.
- Toss all ingredients thoroughly in the bowl with salad spoons and serve immediately on chilled plates or bowls.
One thought on “Creole Salad”