For my latest loaf of sourdough I used a white flour levain added to 50% unbleached all purpose white flour from King Arthur and 50% Bob’s Red Mill 100% Stone Ground Whole Wheat. This flour combination made mixing and kneading the dough much easier than working with 100% white flour. I let the Kitchen Aid knead my ingredients for 10 minutes at alternating settings of 2 and 4. At the lower setting, the dough tends to climb up the mixing hook. To make sure the dough kneaded, I increased the mix rate to 4 which pushed the dough down and to the sides of the bowl. I then kneaded the dough by hand into a ball and let it rest for 45 minutes.
I easily kneaded the 50/50 dough into a proofing loaf to fit my banneton. I had good elastic gluten without a lot of stickiness. I placed my loaf in the banneton in my oven to proof at 85F. My loaf doubled in size in about 6 hours. Here’s the result after baking at 464F for 30 minutes.
I tried a few slices in a sandwich for lunch the next day. The soft, spongy nature of the bread from the white flour balanced an earthy quality imparted to it by the whole grain.
50/50 Sourdough Bread
- 300 g white flour levain
- 250 g unbleached all purpose white flour
- 250 g 100% whole wheat flour
- 250 g spring water
- 15 g salt
- Add all ingredients to a mixer bowl and mix with dough hook for 10 minutes (alternate settings to ensure a good knead). Remove dough from mixer and knead by hand for 3-5 minutes to ensure good gluten elasticity. Form into ball and return to mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 30-45 minutes.
- Fold and roll dough into a loaf sized to your proofing basket. Place dough seam side up in basket predusted with white flour and cover with plastic. Place basket in proofing oven set at 85F for 6 hours or until dough doubles in size.
- Roll loaf from proofing basekt onto baking stone removed from an oven preheated to 465F. Use a razor blade to score the top of the loaf. Place loaf into oven. Spray the loaf with water to add humidity to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes (spray loaf again with water 15 minutes into baking).
- Remove loaf from oven and place on cooling rack.