The year 2017 challenged me personally, professionally and politically. Place at the Table served as a space for exploring creativity in the kitchen, escape and distraction from the world, and pure enjoyment. As I reviewed the last twelve months, I found surprising variety among the five top recipe posts of the year. While I found inspiration for these posts from several sources, each one counts as an original recipe. All posts first appeared in 2017 and ranked the highest number of readers.
I hope sharing creative adventures here provided you at least half as much joy as it brought me. The top five original recipes for 2017 on the blog are:
- Ali Nazik – This Turkish dish can claim the advantage of posting early in January of this year for maximum exposure. I have not made this recipe again since January, but the post drew readers from all over the globe. Enjoy this smoked eggplant yogurt pureé with ground beef stew.
- Torta Mortadella – This recipe favorite which some called “bologna cake” proved fun to make. I created this recipe in reaction to several unappetizing videos of a bologna cake posted on Facebook. This version utilizes fancier ingredients. Bologna proved a popular subject on the blog this year (see Battle of the Bologna Biscuits in Memphis).
- Sourdough Baking for Beginners – Learn how to maintain sourdough starter and bake your own fresh bread.
- Braised Chicken Thighs with Lemon Verbena – The gift of fresh herbs from a friend led to something new in the kitchen.
- Poached Egg Omelette – My love affair with soft egg yolk led me to perfecting this breakfast marvel.
Many thanks to all of you who read this blog and share a passion for cooking, hospitality and tasty food. May peace, prosperity and great cooking reign in your new year!