Back in October, I made a video for Instagram of this crisp green apple salad with slices of Granny Smith apple, honey roasted walnuts, and smoked Bleu cheese over red lettuce with an apple cider vinaigrette. This salad appeared on our table several times since.
I used store-bought honey roasted walnuts when first making the salad, but I recently finalized a recipe for roasting my own. I found a crumbled Salemville Smokehaus Bleu cheese in the cheese shop of my local Kroger which really brings the extra to this salad.
I also prefer delicate Bibb or butter lettuce to red lettuce, but either leaf work well. Give it a try and let me know what works for you.
The following recipe feeds two people as a dinner salad or four people as small salads.
Green Apple, Honey Walnut and Smoked Bleu Cheese Salad
- Bibb lettuce, one head torn, soaked and rinsed in cold water, drained and crisped in the refrigerator.
- 1/2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup raw walnut pieces
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple
- 1/2 cup crumbled smoked Bleu cheese
- Chill salad plates in the freezer
- Add sunflower oil to medium-sized frying pan preheated to medium heat. Add walnuts to oil and stir frequently to ensure even roasting for five about. When walnuts roast to a golden brown, reduce heat and add salt, sugar and honey. Stir until granulated sugar dissolves. Remove walnuts to baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread evenly and refrigerate to cool.
- In a small bowl mix shallot, vinegar, oil, salt, pepper and mustard. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, cut apple into thin slices around the core. Toss lettuce into large bowl with vinaigrette. Be careful to add only enough vinaigrette to coat the lettuce. Too much vinaigrette makes a soggy salad.
- Add equal portions of lettuce to pre-chilled plates, then add apple slices, walnuts and Bleu cheese crumbles in that order. Serve immediately.
3 thoughts on “Green Apple Salad with Honey Roasted Walnuts and Smoked Bleu Cheese”
Thank you for this recipe! I’ve been looking for another kind of Bleu cheese salad besides pear and pecan. Had to sub avocado oil for sunflower and it was still wonderful!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I am thrilled you enjoyed it. Thanks for commenting. Now I need to try pear and pecans!