RUNNY YOLK WARNING: If soft egg yolk makes you queasy, STOP READING NOW!
This recipe combines ingredients from an ABE Sandwich (asparagus, bacon and egg sandwich) and a simple French salad. I didn’t find fresh tarragon at the store, so I left it out of my salad dressing. Any spring greens or Bibb lettuce could easily substitute for the arugula in this recipe.
Poached Egg Salad with Asparagus, Bacon and Arugula
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Few pinches Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp, fresh tarragon, chopped (optional)
- 4 strips of thick-sliced smoked bacon
- 1 lb asparagus (thin preferred), trimmed
- 4 slices whole wheat sourdough bread (or another artisan bread), toasted
- 4 very fresh eggs
- 4-5 cups baby arugula, washed and chilled
- Smoked paprika to taste
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a large ceramic mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly. Put aside.
- Place strips of bacon in a cast iron skillet and bring to a medium heat. When the bacon begins to sizzle, place asparagus in a single layer across the strips of bacon. Cover the skillet.
- After a few minutes, remove the cover on the skillet and temporarily move the asparagus to a plate. Flip the bacon and return the asparagus to the skillet on top of the bacon as before. Cover again.
- When the asparagus just begins to go limp but still has a little bit of firmness, remove to a plate to cool and sprinkle a pinch or two of kosher salt. Continue to cook the bacon until it reaches your desired crispness. Cut the bacon into small pieces when it cools.
- Bring a saucepan filled with water to just below the rim of the pan. Pour salt into water until it begins to become cloudy. Don’t worry. You’re not going to be eating all that salt. The salt helps keep the egg buoyant in the water when it poaches. Bring to a boil and add 1 tablespoon of plain white vinegar to help the egg whites set. Reduce heat until there are only a few small bubbles rising from the bottom of the pan.
- Toast and plate slices of bread. Add the baby arugula to the large bowl of vinaigrette dressing and toss. Add equal amounts of arugula greens to each plate across the toast. Then divide equal parts asparagus over the arugula on each plate.
- Crack eggs into small bowls (ramekins are perfect) to make sure your yolks don’t break. Fresh eggs make the best eggs for poaching. Pour each egg into the poaching pan one at a time. After 2-3 minutes gently turn the eggs in the pan with a large slotted spoon. After a few minutes remove each egg with the slotted spoon — draining as much water as you can. Plate each egg on top of the asparagus.
- Crumble an equal amount of bacon on top of each salad plate. Sprinkle smoked paprika to taste and serve.