Beat the summer heat when you serve this cool canapé made with chilled cucumber at your next barbecue. Hot meats, burgers and hot dogs from the grill and heavy, carbohydrate-rich side dishes tend to dominate outdoor barbecues in the summer. This fresh vegetable treat can bring some balance to your next barbecue. A savory dollop of cream made with fresh dill and a quartered cherry tomato adds a burst of flavor to each slice of cucumber.
To make this amuse bouche, you’ll need a vegetable peeler, chef’s knife, hand mixer, and a simple cake decorating set with piping bag and star-shaped tip to add a touch of fancy. Bring your guests a little EXTRA with multi-colored cherry tomatoes to add brilliant flare to your serving platter. Cucumber canapés may be made ahead of time and chilled until your guests arrive.
Cool Cucumber Canapés
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cucumbers
- ~1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Assemble all ingredients through lemon juice in a medium or large bowl. Use a hand mixer to thoroughly mix ingredients until smooth but firm.
- Add chopped dill and stir cream with a spoon until thoroughly combined. Place bowl in the refrigerator.
- Peel cucumbers lengthwise in a pattern which leaves stripes of dark green peel alternating with light green peeled sections. Cut into slices of the same thickness with a sharp knife. Pat each side of the the slices dry with a paper towel. Set onto a serving platter.
- Quarter each cherry tomato lengthwise.
- Add cream mixture to a piping bag with star-shaped tip. Pipe about a teaspoon of dense cream onto each cucumber. Add a quartered cherry tomato. Chill for at least 20 minutes and serve.