Paul and I used half of a leftover roast chicken to make chili for supper. I returned to the store to shop for ingredients to make it green: poblano peppers and tomatillos. A bowl of this chili will keep you warm on a cool Autumn night with mild spicy heat.
Roasted and skinned poblano peppers impart smokiness and loosely chopped tomatillos provide verdant color and tang to the chili. Cumin, oregano and coriander from the home spice rack added more flavor.
When I served the chili, I garnished the bowl with cool sour cream, sliced avocado, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, and fresh cilantro leaves. Citric acid from a squeeze of lime adds brightness to all the flavors.
Cornbread muffins make a perfect accompaniment to the chili. I used a 24-count tin for mini-muffins which baked quickly and paired well with Louisiana hot sauce and salted butter.
Green Chili with Chicken
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 5-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 28-oz can of whole tomatillos with juices, abruptly chopped but not puréed in a blender
- Two 14-oz cans of cannellini (or white northern) beans, rinsed and drained
- Half and chicken (leftover or store-bought rotisserie), chopped
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Sour cream, avocado, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, fresh cilantro leaves and lime wedges
- Roast poblanos on gas flame until skin blackens on all sides. Place in a ceramic bowl and cover with a lid for at least 10 minutes.
- While the peppers cool, heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add salt and onions, sauté and stir until they begin to become translucent. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Skin the peppers with a chef’s knife at an angle lengthwise. Seed and chop the peppers.
- Add the chopped peppers and all ingredients from tomatillos through black pepper. Bring ingredients to a boil. Lower temperature and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered (stir occasionally).
- Serve in bowls with any or all final ingredients