A few years ago, I wrote a recipe for Dill Pickle Pizza which became the most popular recipe ever posted on this blog. I recently revisited this recipe with a new dough and the same ingredients for a 12” pizza for two people.
I carefully measured the amount of olive oil this time to control for the contribution of fat calories without loss of flavor. My husband enjoyed this pizza as much as my previous version, so here it is.
Serve with a Sauvignon Blanc.
Dill Pickle Pizza for Two
- 113 g All Purpose Flour
- 2 g sugar
- 1.6 g instant yeast
- 79 g warm water
- 3.3 g kosher salt
- 4 tsp olive oil (about 2 tsp will drip off)
- 2 tsp corn meal
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dill weed, dried
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pickle brine
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 85 g mozzarella cheese, shredded (3 oz)
- 130 g Whole Kosher pickle, sliced thin
- Whisk together the first three ingredients in a kitchen aid mixing bowl or other large bowl
- Combine water and salt in a small bowl and whisk until salt dissolves.
- Mix ingredients in above steps with kitchen aid dough hook for a few minutes until combined. Wipe surface of bowl with dough ball to absorb remaining flour and form a tight smooth ball with hands.
- Pour 4 tsp olive into a 2-cup measuring cup. Press dough ball into cup and tilt cup until olive oil has coated top of dough ball. Cover the cup with cling wrap and allow dough to set for at least two hours before baking. If not using immediately, refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Allow dough to come to room temperature before using for pizza.
- Heat oven and baking stone on rack just above mid level of oven to 475F for an hour before baking.
- Mix sauce ingredients from garlic through black pepper in a small jar (can be done a day in advance and at least an hour before baking). The sauce will look like a pesto in consistency.
- Before the oven is ready, spread corn meal evenly across a small plate with a spoon into a thin layered circle about 5” or 12 cm across. Lift dough ball from cup and allow excess oil to drip off. Spread the dough with your fingers into a disk until 5” or 12 cm across. Place disk onto corn meal in plate and press into corn meal. Flip plate over and catch dough with free hand (over the sink to prevent loose meal from making a mess).
- Spread dough (cornmeal side down) with fingers across parchment paper to a 12” or 30 cm diameter disk. Fork the surface of the dough liberally to prevent the formation of large air bubbles during baking. Slide parchment with dough onto baking stone of oven and bake for 6 minutes. Remove to a pizza baking sheet to cool for a minute.
- Spread garlic dill sauce in even layer across baked crust. Do the same with mozzarella and then pickle slices. Return to bake in oven for 9 minutes until cheese begins to turn golden. Remove to cutting board, slice and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Servings 2.0. Amount Per Serving calories 508. % Daily Value: Total Fat 25 g 38 %, Saturated Fat 8 g 42 %, Monounsaturated Fat 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 28 mg 9 %, Sodium 2053 mg 86 %, Potassium 123 mg 4 %, Total Carbohydrate 51 g 17 %, Dietary Fiber 7 g 26 %, Sugars 7 g, Protein 22 g 44 %, Vitamin A 56 %, Vitamin C 5 %, Calcium 53 %, Iron 33 %.